If you are looking for a regular dental crown, you can visit our dental crowns service page here. This page is intended to explain the distinction insurance companies draw between regular crowns and cosmetic crowns.
What is the difference between a Regular Crown vs. Cosmetic Crown?
At our office, when it comes to quality, aesthetics, and price, there is no difference between a cosmetic crown and a regular dental crown. We provide the highest quality of care every time. However, insurance companies draw a very important distinction between the two, which you should understand:
- Regular Crown: This would include getting a crown because of a dental need, such as following a root canal.
- Cosmetic Crown: This would include any cosmetic reason for electively getting a crown. That means that you are choosing to get a crown to improve the appearance of your smile. For example, it can:
- Instantly correct misaligned teeth.
- Permanently correct discolored teeth.
- Instantly close gaps in teeth, instead of orthodontic treatment.
Pros and Cons of Getting a Cosmetic Crown At Montana Roots Dental Care
- Crowns are less likely than veneers to fall off and need to be cemented again.
- Our crowns are 100% ceramic, so you will never see the grey line around the gums caused by porcelain fused to metal crowns.
- We can match virtually any tooth color.
- Crowns are typically more expensive than veneers.
- Healthy tooth structure must be cut away to prepare the tooth for a crown.
If you have questions about cosmetic crowns or would like more information on regular crowns, you can visit our dental crown page.