What do I do if I have a lost filling?
If you have a lost filling, there is no reason to panic. We can help you get the problem fixed if you follow these steps:
- Remove the loose or lost filling.
- If it is loose or came out while you were chewing, remove it from your mouth and discard of it immediately.
- Call us for an appointment.
- We will do our best to provide at least a temporary solution the same day. We will then set another appointment for a more permanent solution.
- If we have flexibility in our schedule, we will provide the permanent filling to resolve the issue immediately.
- Clean the area.
- While waiting for your dental appointment, you will want to practice good oral hygiene to prevent bacteria. Brush carefully where the filling used to be and after eating. Then rinse your mouth with warm salt water to remove remaining food.
- Use a temporary filling material.
- You may experience discomfort or sensitivity to hot and cold, but covering the area with over-the-counter dental cement can help.
Why did I lose my filling?
You may have lost a filling for a variety of reasons:
- There was not enough tooth structure for the filling to hold onto.
- The filling was loose.
- You grind or clench your teeth.
What if I keep losing the same filling?
If you continue to lose the same filling, it is possible a dental crown may be a better option for you.
So how can I prevent losing my filling?
You can prevent it by:
- Avoiding sticky or hard foods.
- Preventing grinding or clenching your teeth. If you are concerned about this, talk to us to see what options we have for you.